Monday, February 26, 2018

The King's ASL

Whenever you see a conversation about the "right" way to sign something, the answer is consistent: the way your teacher showed you. There are a lot of regional variations in ASL, and different people have (sometimes) strong preferences. But the one who gives you the grade is the one who wins!

Sometimes the variations aren't so regional. For example, last week our 3-yr old daughter (as of last week! Happy Birthday, Martha!) came home from Nursery telling us how to be reverent for the prayer. She signed "reverent" with "r" hands moving out from her forehead, like the sign for "honor".

So armed with my new sign (yes, I learn signs from toddlers. I mean, she got it from a grown-up.) I told a kid who was talking during the prayer to be reverent. The other Primary teacher in the room corrected my sign - she uses "r" hands doing the sign for "quiet".

Why is ASL like this? I'm sure there's an official answer out there from a credentialed scholar. But this is my blog, so here's MY opinion! :) I think it's just because ASL is a really young language. It's still settling into its official grammar and "pronunciation" rules.

People correct me all the time on my signing. I'll change my sign, and the next week someone will correct me back the other way. It's ok, just be happy for feedback, then choose your source of wisdom according to your best judgement.

In my case, I'll do the "quiet" version of reverent, because us Primary teachers have gotta stick together!

No comments:

Post a Comment