Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Sometimes I feel like a fish out of water

January 25, 2018

We had Activity Days last night, which is an activity for 8-11 yr old kids. We're doing it once a month instead of the twice a month my kids are used to, just because of travel time. We did an activity to pass of a requirement in the Faith in God program. We read D&C 89, discussed the blessings of the Word of Wisdom, then planned an activity to teach about the WofW to the other kids in Primary. 

I think this would have been an awesomely successful activity in English. I'm really good at teaching older kids in English. When we got done with the activity last night, I sat in my car feeling a little drained. I realized that I'm not actually very good at teaching kids in ASL. I'm not even going to list the reasons why not, there are a lot of them. And talking to grown-ups is still stressful. 

I know, unrealistic expectations. What, I'm not amazing and perfectly fluent after 3 months?!?!?

But still, being realistic doesn't make it FUN to not be very good at your life yet.

I have to keep going. I can't hide or only talk to other English speakers or stay where I am. I have to make myself get better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment