Thursday, March 1, 2018

My first Merit Badge!

Guess what, I just signed off my first Merit Badge ever :) I'm a counselor for the cooking merit badge, and that was the only thing between my friend Ulisses and his Eagle Scout award. Since his 18th birthday is in, oh, 2 weeks...he popped over to my house today to get the last few requirements signed off.

After we were done signing off, we were listing the people he ought to let know that he was Done (with a capital D. Oh baby.) He listed Brother S, and his mom said, "Which one is that?"

"He's...um...er...he can't hear...very well...um..."

I realized that maybe a lot of you have this same problem. So to clear things up, the proper term is deaf (or hard of hearing if a person has less hearing loss). Everyone in the branch calls it the Deaf Branch. Except Marriner and I doggedly call it the ASL Branch because it's a language unit, not a special needs unit.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the word "deaf" is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment