Thursday, March 1, 2018

Joy in Purpose

Last night was our second Activity Days meeting. It was pretty simple - we talked for about 10 minutes about what the Faith in God program was (one of our major goals in Activity Days is to help the kids complete the Faith in God program) then planned a service project to do at our next meeting. We are going to make 100 sandwiches for a group that feeds homeless in DC. We talked about how to get the $40 we need to buy the supplies, and each kid committed to earn $5 over the next 2 months to donate.

(On a side note - I was really glad that I'd just finished watching an ASL lesson on money terms!)

After the planning, we played a game, then I did a Faith in God interview with the kids who had brought their books. These kids are in the stage of life to begin forming personal religious habits, and I encouraged them to start saying prayers and paying tithing and all the other things that will strengthen them through those all-too-soon tough teenage years.

Today has been basking in the residual glow from the uplifting experiences last night. I feel energized thinking about ways to help these kids form the habits they need. I feel like I am involved in an important work that has meaning and eternal benefit. I want these kids to succeed - does this mean I'm really starting to love them?

Then it hits me - this is the joy of service. It's a deep feeling of knowing that you are doing something worthwhile in the world. It's not happiness - today I'm feeling very serious about it, certainly not all grins. It's not satisfaction - the journey is only beginning. But it's wonderful and energetic and creative. It's the gift of God when you're willing to love someone.


1 comment: