Monday, March 5, 2018

Enthusiastic Sam

Sam has my funny story for the week. I'll be fair and give the background to the story, which makes what Sam said a lot more logical. But it was still funny!

In our family, you can pray in English or ASL, but if you want to pray in ASL you have to ask first. ASL prayers take longer (for us) and sometimes we're in a hurry. And asking gives everyone notice to open their eyes and pay attention. All of us have completely missed the prayer with our eyes closed waiting for it to start :)

On Sunday, for some reason, the kids did NOT want to sign in Primary. I spent most of Primary sitting behind kids saying, "Say that in sign language so Sister S. can understand you." Then for singing time, we went completely voices-off. We had a Gallaudet graduate in Linguistics come and teach us her translation of "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" in ASL. No piano, no English, just poetry and 11 kids. And I have to say, my kids came home pretty excited. They loved it.

Then, at the end of that, Sam was called on to give the closing prayer. He jumped up with a big smile on his face and asked, "Can I say it in sign language?"

No comments:

Post a Comment