Wednesday, August 7, 2019

The hottest Trek ever!

Marriner and I seem to be forming a habit of forsaking our children and vacation time to go be "Ma and Pa" at our stake youth conference. I won't try to hide that it's one of our favorite things to do. The youth are so wonderful to work with, and it's amazing to do something that might actually make a big difference in someone's life. I know some of my youth conference experiences were really important to me as a teenager.

Every 4 years, our stake does the dreaded, feared, and anticipated Pioneer TREK. A friend described it well: we take all the youth out to the mountains and LARP :) (Old people - that means "Live Action Role Play.) In the 1850's, some fabulously faithful and determined members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints actually pulled hand carts of all their worldly goods from Nebraska to Salt Lake City to escape persecution and gather with the Saints. They couldn't afford wagons. It was a heroic and faith-promoting journey, and getting a taste for what they went through for the gospel of Jesus Christ is a life-changing experience.

Although I love going to youth conference, I was pretty scared to go on this one because I knew that it involved a lot of walking in the middle of summer. My knees are prone to fussiness, and I haven't really exercised for the last 15 years of childbearing...and I was scared! I tried to do as much walking as I could to get ready, but as the day came closer, it was clear the weather was not going to cooperate with us.

Every year in Washington, we get a few miserable days in which the forecasters tell everyone to just stay inside, and the county opens cooling centers for people without A/C. And look at us, we decided to spend those days out pulling hand carts!

But, as always seems to happen, we got a family group of the best youth in the whole stake. It's magical, the way you are filled with love for kids you've never met before. Their good qualities just shine, even in their tough moments. God is real, guys, because it's not possible to love a group of teenagers like that without the influence of the Holy Ghost.


Our family had to create a cheer, and Marriner and I foisted a cheer on them - "We're grateful for this experience!" It was a good thing to cheer. We cheered it when we had blisters, when we accidentally slept on a cow pie, when we were walking in the dark with no end in sight, when we arrived at camp and had to start a fire before we could eat, and we were exhausted, when they made us put salt in our water because people were getting sick from losing electrolytes...and mostly, when we were SO. HOT. All these experiences were no fun, but we remembered why we were there, and were grateful to get to experience them. At least, I hope they're grateful for them now...I'm pretty sure our cheer had an air of propaganda at times while we were there.... :)

But I have to say, the real reason we love doing youth conference, the thing that keeps us volunteering every year (even though we don't volunteer in our church!) is getting to hang out with the most amazing adults in Southern Maryland. If we took all these same people and went to a party together, it would be fun, but not particularly meaningful. But when we go out and work together to teach the gospel to our youth, it is so amazing. The strength my testimony and commitment to follow Jesus gains from a few days with other people who love the Lord with all their hearts is immeasurable. I am so touched by their examples. And I'm full of love for them and the blessing of having such people lead my children.

On Sunday, our new Stake President sat down and talked to me for maybe half an hour. He'd been assigned by someone above him to meet with the wives of all the bishops/branch presidents and make sure they were doing ok, and that their husbands were treating them right :) I came out of the meeting just feeling great. I realized it was this same thing - the wonderful feeling of being with other people who are trying to serve the Lord. Knowing that Marriner and I are giving our all, but there are lots of other people out there giving their all, and we're all looking out for each other. 

I feel that way about our branch, too. People talk a lot about feeling a special spirit in our branch. Part of that, I'm sure, is the experience of worshiping in a different way. But honestly, part of that is being with a bunch of people who drive past several other churches every week to come to the church where they can give their best to the Lord. And people who all come together with their one Deaf family member, instead of just going to the ward that would be more convenient for the rest of them. They're all sacrificing, and it gives us a certain special portion of strength and unity. 

On a totally different note...it was Fast Sunday this last week, which is a week where we all fast for 2 meals, then in Sacrament meeting people have an opportunity to share testimonies with each other. I generally enjoy bearing my testimony, but I've struggled with it a bit lately, and I finally realized why this week. I debated with myself a long time about whether to bear my testimony, and what to say, and finally I decided to do it. When I sat down, I was frustrated that I hadn't really expressed what was in my heart very well. In English, I'm good with words and can put feelings into sentences fairly well. And it turns out, I have a little pride there. I like feeling like my words are influential. And when I come away feeling like my words didn't have much convincing power, I feel frustrated. So the next month, I try again. And it's still less than what is in my heart. And I get frustrated again. In our previous ward, there was a sister who was a native Spanish speaker who bore her testimony every month, even though it was never very eloquent. I wonder if she just wished every month that she could express herself better. 



2 comments:

  1. Inspiring. I'd love to sit and talk about all of the things in this post, but all I'll say here is I enjoy reading all of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But we should still get together, because we love being around you guys. Maybe after school starts, we can work out an afternoon to do dinner.

      Delete