Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The TR interview

We went to the temple last weekend, and I noticed that my recommend was about to expire. That was more emotional than I expected - I got it renewed last 2 years ago, only a month before we were called to join the branch.

First, let me explain temples and temple recommends a bit. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints go to temples to do ordinances. To keep them a very special and holy place, we're required to be spiritually prepared and worthy to go. Every two years, we meet with our bishop and stake president and answer questions showing that we're keeping the basic commandments. For example, "Do you have a testimony that Jesus Christ is our savior?" and "Do you keep the law of chastity?" It's a cool experience to sit down with a representative of the Lord and be able to say, "Yes, I am living the commandments you've asked me to live." And then to have that representative of the Lord tell you that even though you're not perfect, you're worthy to enter the House of the Lord. And if I had messed something up, that same person would help me change my life and repent, so I could get back on track. I know some people think the idea of temple recommends is a little strange, but I really love it!

So 2 years ago, just before our lives were about to change, I met with my bishop, then a member of the stake presidency and got a new temple recommend. I wonder if President Williams looked at me when he met with me and thought, "Oh, this girl's life is about to change big-time..." Maybe he didn't know yet.

After Marriner was called as branch president, we learned some interesting things. In a ward (a full-sized congregation) the bishop or his counselors can do temple recommend interviews. In fact, when Marriner was a counselor once, that was a lot of his job. The bishop is usually saved for first-timers or people with particular concerns or issues. But in a branch, the counselors don't have the same authority as a bishopric, and only the branch president can do temple recommends. We sorta laughed that in a couple of years, I would have to have an interview with my husband, no other options! I like my husband, but I think that if he was a bishop, he would have had me interviewed by one of his counselors, just to preserve that feeling of...I dunno...separation between church and state??

So now the two years has passed! Sunday night, I went down to the family room and said, "Marriner, what's the most convenient way for me to get an appointment with the branch president for a temple recommend interview?"

"Umm...can we talk after I finish a phone call I'm waiting for?"

Woohoo, that was easy :)

When it came time for the interview, Lige was rushing around getting stuff put together for band camp in the morning. Our house doesn't have an abundance of rooms with doors (and I truly love my open floor plan - it's just bad for privacy) so we ended up in our bedroom. I threw all the laundry spread on the floor into a basket to try to make it a bit more branch president's office-y. It was moderately successful.

I know the question you're all asking is did we do the interview in sign language or English? Well, we did it in English. It was the end of a busy day, and honestly, ASL just takes longer than English. I know, cop out.

The interview itself was very special. It's really cool to be able to tell your priesthood leader that you are being honest and honorable. But this interview had double meaning - not only was I telling my priesthood leader, but I was telling my husband. It was a very sweet spirit as I told my priesthood leader and my husband that I am faithful to my marriage covenant. And that there is nothing in relation to my family that is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ. It felt very vulnerable - which reminded me that I had complete and total trust in my partner in life and eternity.

Despite the tender moments, it required great restraint to refrain from cracking inside jokes. "Do you strive to attend all your church meetings?" "Oh gosh, honey, it's fully of strife, you know as well as I do!" No, I did not say that. Because I'm mature. (cough, cough...)

Now that the interview is over, I can go back to my normal behavior around my husband...like nagging him until he remembers to fill out my recommend form and give it to me...I guess that's the only downside to having your priesthood leader be your husband :)

No comments:

Post a Comment