Sunday, January 13, 2019

Snow Day!

Woohoo! No church today!

Ok, I don't really love skipping church. But I do love snow, and I love days to have church with my family. We have great discussions as we study the gospel together.

At some point we had to decide how much of church we'd do in English and how much in Sign Language. We decided to do Pajama Church as usual, in English, and Home Church the same as normal church, in (mostly) Sign Language. We haven't been practicing ASL as much as we should be lately, so we decided we still needed our weekly practice.

During Pajama church, we were learning about the stories of Mary and Elisabeth. Marriner read Luke 1:37, "For with God, nothing shall be impossible." We talked about things that are impossible to do ourselves, but happen with God's help in our lives. Whenever we said something impossible, we all signed "impossible" along with it.
from www.lifeprint.com

Suddenly, we heard baby Jane singing, "doo doo doo-doo doo."




Yeah.

We were very fortunate to have President Eyring and his interpreter come and speak to us today in church. It's always so nice, the way these well-loved church leaders make the effort to come to our family church days :)

My favorite part of the day is going on downstairs right now. Marriner and most of the kids are out doing service, shoveling walks for some of our elderly neighbors. (Since our nieghborhood was built in the 60's and 70's, we have plenty of those.) But Ellis is down on the computer having her Young Women's lesson with her teacher. This is something you can do with a small class. They're preparing for New Beginnings and all the things they were going to do in their class today. They started off talking, but it's really quiet down there now, so I think they've changed over to sign language. Either that, or they're all pondering a question at great length :) I'm really grateful for such amazing Young Women leaders in the branch that really love my daughter and bless her individually.



With the changes in church curriculum to be more home-centered, I thought of how prepared we were for a day like this. But I also had a realization of how beneficial it is to gather together and discuss the gospel with a wider group of people than just my family. Those lessons and discussions over the years have helped broaden my thinking and understand other people whose experiences are different than my own.

It was funny seeing how easily Marriner decided to cancel church. Saturday morning, he saw the forecast for 4-7", and he said, "Of course we're canceling church." No need to wait until the snow actually arrived. Even if the forecast was a bust, there would for sure be enough snow to warrant canceling church. And thus we see that after 9 years on the east coast, we've turned into Easterners. Utah friends and family, you may all laugh at us now :)

Hahaha....ok, the voices just turned on downstairs when Ellis exclaimed, "High School?!?!" and laughed her head off. "I'm in 6th grade! I'm only 12!" (From the computer): I don't know how old Beehives are any more!

Edit: Now Lige is getting together with his fellow YM (Young Man) and discussing this week's lesson. These kids are so darn awesome! I just love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment