Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Following the little promptings

Tuesday night is Marriner's "Branch Night" - he doesn't come home for dinner, he just goes straight to the church from work and gets his church stuff done. And, you know, our branch consists of a large number of Night Owls, so he's sometimes home pretty late.

Last night, I was really dragging around 10pm when I realized I had to be up early in the morning to take Lillian to violin lessons (our first one after the Christmas break). Marriner usually texts me to say when he's coming home, and he hadn't texted yet, so I gave up on seeing him and headed to bed.

About 10:15, just as I was crawling into bed, Marriner came in the door. I admit, I almost stayed in bed and acted asleep, because I knew if I got up and talked, we'd be up for another hour, and I was tired! But I got up. Marriner apologized that he'd forgotten to text when he left. He'd been working frantically along, trying to answer questions people had sent him, when he got a text from his Branch Clerk. It said something along the lines of, "I made it home. If you're still in your office, you should go home, too. The church things can wait, but your wife and kids won't."

I imagine the Clerk arriving home and having an idea to text President Merrill. Then he shrugs it off, thinking, "It's not my place to tell him what to do." Then he responds to himself, "but what if that was a prompting from the Holy Ghost?" After a few back-and-forth thoughts, he decides to just send it. And President Merrill gets the text, packs up his stuff and goes home, just in time to talk to his wife for a few minutes that day.

And, just to give you the end of the story, Marriner didn't stay up and talk, he hurried to hop in bed with his wife, and we all slept happily ever after for 8 whole hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment