Thursday, June 14, 2018

My first Iftar

Today is the end of Ramadan (and Flag day, which is important, but not related to this post). My main relationship with Ramadan is trying to remember to not invite my Muslim friends to go to a party or a camp out with us while they're fasting. But since we don't have a TON of Muslim friends, it doesn't make much of a difference in my normal life.

Actually, I have one funny story about Ramadan. A couple years ago, my family adopted a refugee family from Somalia who had just arrived in the US. It was a great experience, we enjoyed befriending them and learning about each other. During Ramadan, I talked to Duniyo (the mom) and she explained to me how it works. She seemed a little wary at sounding weird, and I was happy to let her know that my church fasts, too! She asked how often, I told her, "Once a month, for 1 day." She replied, "Just 1 day?" I laughed and admitted that our method of fasting was much more pleasant than theirs. But whenever I'm feeling hungry on Fast Sunday, I remember that conversation.

Ok, so give Muslims respect, Ramadan isn't exactly easy religion!

Ramadan is a month of fasting every day during sun-up. After the sun sets, you wash, pray, then you can eat. This meal is called "Iftar".

Last night, a Deaf Muslim group sponsored an inter-faith Iftar - to share their religion with others, and to learn about other religions, as well. A member of our branch was asked to represent our church, so I went to support and enjoy.

(Actually, Marriner was going to go, and I was going to be a homebody taking care of the kids...but Marriner got the stomach virus that's now made it's way through half of our family, so I went instead. Not to wish a stomach virus on anybody, but I'm sorta glad I had to get out of my comfort zone - as in, the part of me that doesn't drive anywhere in the evening because I hate traffic! - and go do something cool!)

Leaving home in the evening - ugh. Going to an event where I don't know many people and have to make polite conversation - that's hard for most people, myself included. Attending an event in ASL - surprisingly not scary to me any more. Oh, I still don't understand half of what's going on. But I now know how to ask someone to tell me what a sign means, or to spell slower, and it just doesn't stress me out any more. I just enjoy taking in what I can, and contributing to the conversation when I can, and when I get lost, I just wait until it comes back to something I can understand.

This was my first non-church Deaf event (I mean, there were plenty of Mormons there, but it wasn't a branch activity). That was a stretch - I'm much better at signing about church things than random topics like, "What country is this food from?"

And, the food was from a middle eastern restaurant and an Indian restaurant, and it was delish. Just the type of food I like. I had to restrain myself from eating with my hands - that would be very bad for conversation :) The Indian thingy I had was so spicy it made me cry. But baklava wiped that away like a gem. Oh yeah, and there was a tray of lumpia, too, even with the sweet chili sauce. Wha? Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment