Wednesday, June 20, 2018

In which Lige limps to the finish line

It's a little past my bedtime, and I've had the same conversation with myself about 10 times before finally settling down to write. It goes like this:

"I want a little snack..." and I walk upstairs. I look around the kitchen a bit.

"Oh yeah, actually, I'm not hungry. I'm actually sort of full."

"But I feel lousy. Eating will help me feel better!"

"No, you're not hungry, you're tired. Going to sleep would help you feel better!"

"But I can't go to sleep yet...so...can I eat some ice cream instead?"

"Actually, that doesn't even sound very good. I guess I'll go get something done."

I'd be really proud of my self-mastery if I hadn't repeated the conversation so many times :) But I think I've finally stopped wandering around my house and settled down to write something. And I'm thinking about my experiences this week, and if I had any interesting ones....

I think I'll give some time to Lige this week. Whenever Lige comes up in conversation, he's described as "a good kid." That's him in a nutshell. He had a really busy last week of school. He had an application due for a national science fair he'd qualified to enter, a project for all of his combined classes due (yay for his teachers not quitting two weeks before school ended!) and a big piano concert on Saturday. He had 2 big dress rehearsals on Thursday and Friday nights, 3 hours each, then the concert. With everything, he really didn't have very much time to practice his song, and he was nervous about that.

I hadn't realized how nervous he was until after the fact. I ran into the mom who was in charge of the green room at the library. I don't know many of the families in the piano studio, but this family has the same violin teacher, as well, so we're starting to get to know each other. :) She has a very religious family, similar to ours, and it turns out we have one more thing in common - she learned sign language years ago when she served with her church's Deaf ministry! She told me that she was impressed by Lige because when he got nervous, he would go to a couch that was fairly private and start signing. She (knowing ASL herself) was very interested in what he was doing until she realized that he was praying. Then she turned her head and gave him some privacy. But she still told his mom about it. Because moms know that other moms are happy when they learn their child is praying without being told.

Poor Lige, he got done with his piano concert and the next day started showing signs of the stomach virus that has been making its slow way through our family. He spent most of the day Monday on the couch wrapped up in a blanket, despite the toasty temperature in our house until we finally broke down and turned on the A/C at dinner time. But Monday evening, he didn't get to rest any more. He had to pack for Stake Young Men camp, so he could leave at 7 the next morning! He made it, he got a good night's rest, and was off on time in the morning.

In the afternoon came the text from his leader with the things he'd forgotten :)

But never fear, Wednesday night is Bishop's night and Lige is not only the Branch President's son, he's the only kid from the branch attending, so he gets 100% of the Branch President's attention. If he forgot his stuff, he shall have it!

After all, he's a good kid, and he makes a lot of sacrifices for the cause. We don't mind him occasionally getting a perk, as well. But he'd better not get used to it....oh wait, his dad will probably be his branch president until he leaves for college. Ok, fine, Lige, you never have to worry about packing everything for camp ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment