Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Visiting

I went visiting today. I visited a sister in the branch who is awaiting knee surgery, and is pretty laid up until that happens. I was there (nominally) to cheer her up and give her some company.

This sweet sister spent 45 minutes being so friendly and encouraging to me - she taught me signs, slowed down when needed, slowed down even more when needed, all while smiling the whole time. I really enjoyed talking to her, and came out feeling like, "Ah, that was just what I needed today!"

Since I was called to serve in Primary, I don't converse in ASL with adults very often. It slows my language progress down, for sure. But I don't sweat it too much.

Last night, I was talking to my kids about something fun we could learn. They said, "Latin!" I said, "We're already learning a language, and we have plenty of work to do on it!" But they're a little tired of ASL, it's not very glamorous any more. I thought that some sort of goal would be motivational, so I looked to see if there's any sort of ASL certification they could work toward.

The answer is yes - but it costs $165 for the test. So we probably won't do it. Gallaudet university administers the test, where you sit down and talk to a professor, and they grade your language skills, from 0-5. I read the description of each level and thought maybe I was a 2 or 3. Then I saw they had sample videos for each level. I clicked on the video for level 0....it was....a lot like the way I sign...at least, I think I'm better than that now, right? I clicked on level 1, and that matched me pretty well. Level 2 was way over my head. Level 3 was so good I couldn't tell they were making mistakes. Levels 4 and 5...well, yeah.

So that was a good reality check for me. I'm back to being motivated to study and improve again. :)

Part of this is realizing that I need to talk to Deaf adults more. As I drove to my visiting appointment, I was just so grateful for the opportunity to visit her. I was grateful that she would be patient and take the time for me, even though I don't have a lot to offer in the way of stimulating conversation quite yet.

So I laughed as I got into my car. I was supposedly there to minister to her, but she was really the one who did all the service.

No comments:

Post a Comment