Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Encouragement

Two people said we were doin' good this week!

One sweet sister commented to my husband during a meeting how much his wife had improved at ASL. I really needed to hear that. I knew I had improved at ASL - for example, I sometimes understand things with the sound off now :) I just wanted to call her up and say, "Thanks for noticing! As a matter of fact, I have been working my tail end off!" I've been so much more enthusiastic at studying this week!

The second compliment was for Martha - someone told Marriner that he was impressed by how well she signed. Of course, everyone is, because a 3-yr old signing is over-the-top adorable, and it's impossible to not love everything about it. But he then connected some extra dots and told Marriner he could tell we were really working hard on ASL at home.

So, all in one week, my value as an individual AND as a mother have been validated by people whose opinions I value. I feel really loved and happy. :)

The timing is good, too, because Sam's having a tough time. He got a new Primary teacher who is Deaf. His previous teachers had talked in class. Sam is really struggling with having to pay attention by watching his teacher. He doesn't understand everything, which frustrates him, and he shuts down. Honestly, I think he'd understand most things if he'd keep his eyes on the teacher. But that's easier for some 5-yr olds than others! And he just doesn't like FEELING like he doesn't know what's going on, even if he can get it eventually.

Last week, we decided to be proactively friendly. We put some pretzels in a little box for Sam to take to his class and share with everyone. The idea was that  you can't feel left out and shy when you're reaching out to others. Unfortunately, his teacher got sick, and his previous teacher was the sub, so I don't know if the treat made things better or worse.

But it's ok, a little encouragement can help a person keep trying, and I'm sure he'll conquer soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment