Sunday, April 1, 2018

General Conference and Easter!

Wow, what a big weekend! General Conference was epic. I kept thinking of things I wanted to write about, and now I've forgotten most of them. But a few things are still in my brain.

When I was a kid, I hated General Conference on Easter. All they talked about was Jesus and the Atonement and Resurrection, over and over again! It's funny how 30 years can change your perspective. I love Easter. I remember so vividly the Easter after I was married. I walked to church alone because Marriner had a meeting before church. (Hmmm...there's something that hasn't changed...) The cemetery was between our apartment and the church, and as I walked through it, I saw people visiting and laying flowers, and I suddenly knew that Jesus's resurrection was for reals, and that all these people were going to see their loved ones again. Easter is the whole point of religion - it's the reason to believe. It's the hope that life has meaning. And now that Easter has meaning to me, it's wonderful to gather with all the Saints and celebrate it together.

We watched Conference in ASL, obviously. I realized that it was half a year ago that we were reeling under the shock of our new calling, watching all of Conference in ASL for the first time, urgently trying to learn as much as we could before Marriner was sustained 3 weeks later. It was, I admit, a little discouraging. My comprehension was...low :) What a miracle to see the progress we've all made in the last 6 months. It was a testimony to me of the Lord's hand in our efforts.

Sam gets the cute award for the day. You know, when you're watching in ASL, there's not very much difference between congregational hymns and choir numbers. Each time, a choir sings and someone signs on the screen...but for some reason, we sign along with some of them and not others :) Sam didn't see any reason to not sign along with all of them, though. He just listened and signed, completely focused. I tried to get a picture, but I really stink at action shots. Oh well.

Sa lahat ng mga kaibigan sa Cagayan de Oro, Philippines - wahoo!!! Noong naging missionary ako, sabi ko magkakaroon ng temple sa Cagayan de Oro. Napakaraming kilala kong talagang matapat at malakas sa pananampalataya galing doon. At ngayon, matutunay iyan. Masaya ako talaga para sa inyo.

I'm so excited about the changes announced to Home and Visiting teaching! I have always LOVED visiting teaching, and I'm excited to improve. And I'm excited to get to minister with my daughter in a few years!

On Saturday night, I was cleaning up while Marriner and Lige were off at Priesthood session when I got a text from Marriner suggesting that I might want to turn on the broadcast. What a great husband I have. My sister and I both listened to the announcement about the changes to priesthood quorum structuring and chatted back and forth about what it would mean to our husbands. It was a really fun evening! I have to say, our branch is SOOOO ahead of the crowd on the changes to Priesthood quorums. We already only have 1 quorum, since there are only a very few high priests in the branch. No point in splitting up. So woohoo for us, we're trendsetters :)

Well, Marriner says if I quit writing, I can go to bed. I'll take it! Happy Easter, friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment