Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Becoming as a little child

I admit, I was a little glum the other day. I was just feeling a little lonely. My whole life, my social life has revolved around church. Well now, I spend all of church just trying to keep 6 kids together, and by the time we get done, the kids are REALLY done. If I grab a few minutes to talk to someone, it's accompanied by all the awkwardness of language learning. Add to that, my husband is gone a lot, and there are a lot of things he can't talk to me about. I'm not complaining, I think it's normal and maybe even good for you to have some solitary (if taking care of 6 kids can ever be called solitary...) and even lonely times in your life. But things that are good for you aren't always easy, right?

Have I already written about this before? Sorry. The rest of the story will be different this time, I promise :)

I was listening to Martha speak. It was pretty cute and funny, but it takes a long time to figure out what she's talking about some times. She just doesn't have the vocabulary to describe things! And there, in my glum mood of the day, I ruefully thought, "This is exactly how I am when I use sign language. Signing with me is just like talking to a 3-yr old."

One of the things I love about the Holy Ghost is the little encouraging messages he sends when you're starting to slip down the slope of negative thoughts. The thought came immediately and forcefully into my head, "You're exactly right!"

"What? That's not very encouraging! What kind of comfort is that?"

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3-4)

"Oh..."

So, I hereby embrace my identity as the woman who signs like a 3-yr old. I have great faith that it is leading me toward salvation.

Just don't pat me on the head and tell me I'm cute. I'm not THAT much like a little child yet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment