Saturday, June 12, 2021

You sing, Mom, and I'll interpret.

 Today, we get a cute Jane story!!

I've been experimenting a lot with teaching singing in ASL. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I've been using technology more. I've found that if the TV does the signing, I can do some of the other things a singing leader can do, like be silly, compliment people who are doing a good job, move closer to people who are losing focus, etc. I like it. I wish there were more/better videos of songs in ASL for me to use. A lot of the songs were filmed in the '80's. Which isn't bad, but oh, the hair and clothes....it just looks so old! Also, ASL has changed a lot since then, so some songs I have to discard because of outdated signs. And some songs I discard because I just can't even with the '80's look. It's tough finding songs that apply to the lesson, etc. every week, but so far, I think it's been good to use - not all the time, but regularly.

The other thing I've been experimenting with (by government mandate) is only using hands, no voice. This one has been more universally successful. And I can tell, because the kids are remembering the songs better. Cute story as illustration:

A couple nights ago, I was putting Jane to bed. I usually sing "You are my sunshine" before bed, but I thought I'd try to reinforce one of the songs we've learned lately in Primary, and started singing "We'll bring the world His truth." Jane approved - she jumped out of bed and exclaimed, "Start over again, Mom. You sing, and I'll interpret." Well, I didn't even know she knew the word interpret! :) But she stood there and interpreted the song with all her heart, then jumped back in bed. Of course, a four-year old interpretation is high on cuteness and low on understandability...but that's ok!

-------------

Speaking of interpretation, Sam was praying the other day and Martha was interpreting for Uncle Joseph. It seems that Uncle Joseph's vocabulary is getting pretty good, though, as far as the things we tend to pray for. He might not really need that interpretation any more. (Or we need to get better at saying different things during our prayers??) Sam was praying, "Thank you for s-" and then he stopped, and remembered that Dad told him to SHOW things if you don't know the sign, instead of spelling them out. He did something with two hands making O's, and moving them in front of each other. No clue what he was talking about. Nor did Martha. After the prayer, Marriner inquired tactfully about what he was trying to say, as it was clear that none of the other kids had gotten it either. Uncle Joseph piped up, "I think it was the solar eclipse." And he was right! This guy has talent, too bad we can't get him in our branch.

-------------

I have a fear of being asked to interpret. I've never done it, and I'm very worried that I'll be awful, and the person I'm interpreting for will have a horrible experience. I want to be ready for when someone has nobody better to turn to, but how do you practice interpreting without actually interpreting? 

Well, I found a way that worked for me. I was out walking the other day, and downloaded a podcast to listen to. For some reason, I just started signing the podcast. It was great, because I realized that I can keep up with people talking at a formal speed (which is slower than conversation, but still, a great start.) I don't think my grammar is always very good, but I think it would be understandable to someone who was good at English. I'm still afraid of interpreting....but in a less pathetic way... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment