Saturday, April 17, 2021

I don't think he's doing the taxes...

 I'm just sitting upstairs working and Marriner is downstairs doing the taxes. He suddenly laughs at something. I'm about to call out, "What's so funny?" (We're not very far apart from each other, after all.) Then I think, "It's probably not the taxes that are funny, he's probably on the phone." And I peek down the stairs, and indeed, there he is signing away to someone. Having a conversation that is apparently somewhat humorous. :)

------------

Our branch is starting to talk about re-opening in-person Primary (and all the other organization meetings). Marriner is very enthusiastic about it - he sees the people who are struggling spiritually right now. I'm very un-enthusiastic about it. It's not immediately obvious to me how this can work with wearing masks, people having to stay home if they're sick, and no singing. I'm tired of changes, and would rather wait a few more months until most adults have been vaccinated, and it feels safer. But, we had a meeting last week to try to hammer out a plan, and we think we have a way that will work.

As we are starting to face returning to church full-time, I've realized that my younger kids are NOT ready for this, language wise. And that's a little frustrating, because we've worked a lot this last year on keeping up our ASL. But kids change so fast. They can forget things in weeks or months if they don't use it a lot. And even though we've worked on some things a lot, there are other things that we've let slide. And none of them have had a conversation with a deaf person in over a year! 

As a Primary presidency, one of our goals is to make Primary a fun and enjoyable place for the kids. We want it to be a positive place they'll want to come to. And I'm sorta sure that my kids are going to struggle and not like it anyway, just because they are so weak in ASL right now. I'd love to be proven wrong. But I'm nervous.

The other complication is that a non-signing person (I can't mention names yet, the news isn't common knowledge) is moving in with us next week for the summer. So that's going to make it a lot harder to practice.

Are we going to get through? I guess we probably will :) Even if there are tears and pulled-out hair in the process. :) 

And now Marriner is done with talking on the phone, so we're heading to bed. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment