Monday, March 15, 2021

Primary

 Hi, everyone,

We reached one year of coronavirus this week. 365 days of various restrictions, disappointments, upheavals. There have been so many good things, too. But I just want to take a moment to pause and acknowledge that this been hard for all of us in various ways on various levels. I'm so grateful for light at the end of the tunnel!

I like what someone posted on Facebook. Instead of wishing things would get back to normal, hope for things to go forward to better. 

I think my kids are getting better at sign language in one regard - they're learning to pay attention when people are signing. Sunday in Primary, we usually have two options: have class in English, or have it in ASL with a treat at the end. They generally pick ASL, but then they "forget" and talk, or don't pay attention, etc. Yesterday, I told them if they wanted to do ASL, they had to lead it. If they talked or didn't pay attention, then I'd just go to English. Boy, the really rose to the challenge! We had a really amazing lesson all in ASL! We discussed some scriptures from D&C 25, which would be tough enough for kids in English. It was funny and interesting watching the kids try to sign the scriptures we were discussing. It was funny and interesting watching me try to figure out how to explain words they didn't know without talking. (Cleave? Wherefore?) Anyway, I was impressed by them. And then we went to English to sing, because we wanted to sing lots of "songs of the heart" and English is, like, you know, our language of the heart.

But the actual cute part of my life that made me sit down and write today is Jane, for whom the Primary lesson was completely over her head, but she sat nicely (ish) on the couch anyway with her special blanket, sucking her thumb. She was especially cute signing the opening song with her thumb in her mouth. :) Go ahead and try that, it's not really easy! I think that pretty much represents this whole experience for her - she can do hard things, but really, she's still a little kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment