Monday, September 28, 2020

Hanging out with my sisters

Three of the four siblings in my family now live in the Metro DC area, and it's really quite fun. Because we're all very careful about minimizing our interactions with others, we feel comfortable getting together and doing fun things together. We've sorta formed an social life pod. We miss our other sister in Utah, but it's been a big blessing to have family nearby.

One of the funniest things to me about when we get together is the language connection we have. 

My sister Nicole served a mission in the Philippines, like me, and we both speak Tagalog.

My sister Ashley took ASL in HS, and has stayed involved with the language. So we both speak ASL.

So I can talk to my sisters in different languages....just not at the same time... :)

ASL usually wins. Because many of the kids know at least a little, as well as Ashley's husband. And because both Nicole and I are rusty on our Tagalog. And because Tagalog isn't super useful for talking when there's food in your mouth, which is 90% of the time I use ASL at home. Just kidding.

Look at that handsome group of multi-lingual people! We have ASL, Tagalog, Spanish and Russian. Languages that we dabble in: German, French, Russian Sign Language, Japanese, and Brittish :)


------------

I spoke in church on Sunday. It wasn't a particularly brilliant talk, but it was a landmark - first time in 3 years that I haven't come home feeling glum that my talks are so bad! Yeah baby! I felt like I was able to explain some thoughts and feelings with enough sophistication that they didn't sound like a Primary kid talk. My last talk was awful, my hands just did not work with me. This time I prayed pretty specifically for the gift of tongues (er, hands) to be able to express myself freely. It was way better. Definite confirmation of God's hand in my life there!

-----------------------

We got a giggle out of Jane's reason she couldn't tell us what people had talked about in church today: "Everyone was just being too noisy, so I couldn't understand!" Uhhh...Jane....it was in sign language....

No comments:

Post a Comment