Tuesday, September 3, 2019

More kid funnies

You know, learning a language requires going out on a limb a lot, and that means you make mistakes. And mistakes are sometimes funny. So I don't want my kids to think (when they grow up and found out that I wrote all this stuff about them) that I'm making fun of them. I'm just keeping a sense of humor about our life adventures! And I'll say, especially in praying, it's so easy to get in a rut and just say the same things over and over. So kudos to my kids for trying to say new things!

On Saturday, Sam was anticipating the start of school after the weekend and tried to sign, "Please bless the start of school." But he couldn't quite remember how start goes...so he did the best he remembered, and instead signed, "Please bless school to hurt."

__________

We were on the way home from that only-somewhat-painful first day of school drop-off when Martha saw a dog in a car and thought that was sort of cool. This blew my mind, because Martha has traditionally had about the same opinion of dogs as she does of spinach, bears or martians: they are definitely to be avoided. I asked, "Do you want to have a dog for our car, too?"

"No, we should get a dog for our yard, and then we can take it in the car when we want to. But not a dog, a puppy. Because a puppy is a baby dog. They're small."

(Mom is thinking, yeah right you'd like a puppy. They're really hyper and would scare you to DEATH.")

"Hey, Mom! I know how to sign baby dog! You sign baby, then dog!"

She was very proud of herself :)

----------

I read an alphabet book to Jane today. I said the letter, and signed it, too. She's getting pretty good at her letters, so when we got to "e" I said, "What letter is this?" She looked at my hand and triumphantly declared, "Jane!"

See, when we spell her name, J-A-N-E, she just sees the E at the end. So she thinks E is Jane.

How cool is that, she has a letter of the alphabet named after her!

-----------

So, I did something I know I shouldn't do this week. I was talking to some friends, and they used a sign I didn't know, and I was sorta losing track of the conversation, and I was a little tired...so I just smiled and nodded a bit. Usually the conversation comes back to something I understand, and I can rejoin pretty quickly. But suddenly, one of the ladies turned to me and signed, "Do you like (the word I didn't know.)? Gah, I was caught! I'd been here nodding like I was totally following the conversation, and now I had to confess that I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

It was sushi.

And, yes I like some sushi, but no, I'm not totally in love with it like some people are. Just in case you're wondering, like my friends probably still are, because it took so long for me to figure out what they were talking about that the conversation sorta broke down. :) But it's ok, we're in Primary together, so they have to talk to me again. Bwahaha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment