Sunday, November 25, 2018

Things I'm thankful for

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

My aged grandfather sent us an email this week encouraging his posterity to change their prayers from 90% asking/10% thanking to the other way around. Have you ever tried to think of 9 things to say thank you for just so you can ask for one blessing? It's definitely a good exercise, even if it's tough sometimes. But this has me thinking of some of the things I'm thankful for.


  1. I'm thankful for people who help me improve my ASL. Today I was talking to another mom after church. We were both hearing - she's an interpreter - and it would have been easy to speak English, but I appreciate that she signed with me, being patient with my weaknesses. In nursery, another hearing teacher slowed down his signing when I didn't get what he'd asked me, instead of just talking. I'm grateful for that.
  2. I'm thankful for the Primary Presidency in the Capitol Hill ward! Our Primary starts about 15 minutes after theirs ends. Sometimes, we feel a little harried trying to get in, get all our lesson materials together, and get the Primary room ready. They have a big Primary, ours is less than half their size. So we have to fold up a lot of chairs :) They have always been so kind about getting kicked out of the room quickly. But a few weeks ago, they noticed us folding up chairs and started folding up the chairs for us before we get there. This is what the room looks like every week when we arrive - it brings a tear to my eye when I see it, because it's just an expression of love and service. 
  3. I'm thankful for all of my kids' teachers. Today at dinner, we were discussing some of our great lessons that we had today. Man, my kids have some awesome teachers. The teacher-student ratio is fabulous - sometimes, they get 100% of that teacher's care and effort! (Sometimes they have to share with 2-3 other people in their class.) My kids never got lessons especially for them before - their teachers were always thinking about some struggling person as they prepared. Now these fabulous teachers are preparing lessons especially for my kids and their needs! Wow, it's fabulous!
  4. I'm thankful for the chance to be the "Branch President's Wife". I get to see the hand of the Lord in the branch more than usual, and it's very faith-promoting. I see the Lord inspiring and strengthening the Branch President. For example, Marriner had a stomach virus Friday night, and still wasn't feeling tip-top Sunday morning. He went off to church without having eaten much since Friday. He was the only member of the branch presidency in town today, so he kept busy. His very last appointment of the day happened to be tithing settlement with our family. He did the whole thing in ASL, which just takes more brain effort than speaking English. I watched him teaching each of the kids, helping them understand tithing and what it means and thought, "Why isn't this guy exhausted?" And I realized the Spirit was giving him strength and capability to fulfill his calling. It was pretty fabulous to see. (It was fabulous to see him eat a big dinner tonight, too!)
  5. I'm thankful for the gift of tongues. A few weeks ago, Lillian's Primary class talked about gifts of the Spirit. She was surprised when her teacher used her as an example of the gift of tongues. My kids have never learned a language before, and they don't realize that one doesn't usually learn a language very well from hanging out for a few hours once a week for a year. 
  6. I'm thankful for the other sisters in the Primary presidency. They are with me through my best and worst, and they've been the best friends a person could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment