Sunday, July 15, 2018

In which an inspired thought changes my entire perspective.

Whenever I talk to people about this call to the branch, I always explain it, "My husband was called to be the branch president, since he's conversational in ASL, and the rest of us came with him." That's pretty accurate. But I have always assumed the Lord gave Marriner this calling (which really was a calling to the whole family) because of some important work the Lord had for HIM to do. You know, whatever the rest of the family had to contribute was a bonus. (I mean, just showing up is a big deal. There are 8 of us, after all. That's like 15% of the branch...)

Last night I was sweeping and thinking about my Primary kids. I think about them a lot, to be honest. And this crazy thought entered my head: "What if Marriner was called as branch president so that YOU could touch somebody's life?"

Woah.

That would mean a lot of responsibility.

What if Marriner was called as branch president so Lige or Ellis could touch someone's life? What if he was called so someone else could touch the life of someone in my family? What if the branch YW president is the one who can help Ellis through some tough years to come? What if the Lord was just thinking about one of my kids becoming deaf later in life, and he or she really needs to know ASL?

I'm sure there are actually a lot of things the Lord had in mind when he gave us this call - both blessings to give and to receive. But realizing that my love and capabilities could be something important changed the whole game for me. It gives me a sense of urgency to reach out to everyone the Lord has put in my path. My Primary kids. The sisters I minister to. And even my own children, whose relationship with me and the Lord has changed because of all of this. Because if my influence could be the thing that helps one of these people grow up and have a happy life based on a strong testimony of their Savior, I can't miss out on that because I'm setting my sights too low.

And it probably applies to everyone in the branch. I mean, you'd think the purpose for attending the branch would be so the deaf member of the family can participate, but what if....what if you were in the branch so someone else could influence someone's life....


No comments:

Post a Comment